The Devils' Advocate

Being a Giants fan in Eagles territory

Matt Freas, Reporter

I am Giants fan. In South Jersey. In Eagles territory.

Being a Giants Fan in Eagles territory sucks, plain and simple. I’ve been dealing with that all my life, but I’m no team switcher. I’m a Giants fan through and through. That’s how it’s staying.

I’ve been a New York Giants as long as I can remember. My dad would teach me how the game’s rules worked when I was little. Football night parties were a thing all the time, the family grouping up around the tv with friends watching the game.

I’ll admit it: I love rubbing the Giants 8 Super Bowl wins in the faces of the Eagles fans I see every day.  It’ll make them shut up in the middle of an argument; this is go-to strategy when they’re winning an argument to shut them down. Even though the Eagles just won the Super Bowl, they still only have one win.

I also am happy to have some really good players on the New York Giants: Odell Beckham Jr. one of the best wide receivers in the game, and Saquon Barkley, a very good rookie running back with a lot to prove. (He’s proved a lot already in his first season.) Arguably, though these players can’t get their full potential because Eli is always getting sacked. I chalk this up to the terrible offensive line.

I’m not so proud that I can’t admit that the Eagles, overall, are a better team than the Giants. Even though they only won one Super Bowl, Eagles fans are already saying two in a row (which isn’t going to happen).

This drives me crazy, especially after the Giants most recent loss to the Eagles during Week six. The Eagles also have better coaching, something clearly evident in the team’s play calling. The Giants team all together is a clunky team that can make big plays every once in a while. The Giants usually stick with quick slant passes to their receivers (which is so predictable). And to top it all off the Eagles quarterback, Carson Wentz, is a very good football player and knows how to make the right plays at the right time.

So even if the Giants aren’t the best team in the league, we are gaining new and highly skilled players to our roaster and eventually get back on top of the NFC East.

I know their weakness. I know they have some challenges to overcome. But I love the Giants. I love the way my family gathers around every time there’s a game. I love the game itself, but more than that, I love watching the Giants play that game. And it doesn’t matter if I live in South Jersey or Dallas or Jacksonville. I’m in this for the long haul.

• Being a Giants fan in Eagles territory

College/Professional Sports

Mid-Season NFL Awards Predictions

HHS Sports

Fall athletic teams honor players, families on Senior Day

College/Professional Sports

Sixers set out to end losing streak against Hornets

College/Professional Sports

Eagles struggle at start, but there is still hope

College/Professional Sports

Sixers face Bulls in home opener tonight

• College/Professional Sports

Devils’ Den Sports Talk Episode 2

• College/Professional Sports

Devils Den Sports Talk: Episode 1

College/Professional Sports

Sixers face Celtics in season opener tonight

Sports

Girls Wrestling Approved in NJ

College/Professional Sports

Fans pick their early NFL MVPs

The student news site of Hammonton High School.
Being a Giants fan in Eagles territory