The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

Hot Start for the Hammonton High School Track & Field

The Track Team Starts off 4-0

The Hammonton High School Track and Field team is coming off of a very successful winter season with multiple runner making it to nationals and a copious amount of pr’s. After a year in which they lost key seniors that lead the team to success in states and in the conference, the team looks arguably better now.

With that success comes expectation for the future. Head coach Jeff Dey stated, “Expectations are to continue the positive and cohesive team energy and have a stand out year. Many individuals have chances of setting new school records and advancing. As a team we can become the best team that has come through Hammonton.”

The team was is already off to a coming in at 3-0 to start the new season. They notched their two wins against ACIT and Oakcrest. It was the first time in 30 years that the team has beaten Oakcrest. The team had multiple 1st place finishes from Aaron Mull in the 200m, Jake Edwards in both the 400m and high jump, Anthony Liakhnovich in Shot Put, Christian Medina in Discus, and Matt Martino in the 3200m.

The team also placed well in the Bridgeton Relays coming third overall coming first in the SSMR. Almost everyone medaled as well. The team also had a recent meet as well at home against Cedar Creek. It was their senior day and the celebrated 13 total seniors. The team squeaked out a small 9 point victory against them beating them 75.5 to 65.5.

Head Coach Jeff Dey, stated, “A historic season, which we are already off to that start with top finish at Bridgeton and defeating Oakcrest for first time in 30 years.”

Hopes are high for the new season as with a copious amount of senior leadership and great performances from underclassman, they look to be once of the best teams in the county.