The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Importance of a Game 7 in the NBA Playoffs

Game 7’s in the history of the NBA are quite unique. There is nothing like the best players in the world giving it their all in a win or go home situation. The history of the game 7’s date’s all the way back to 1958 and since it’s inception, only 149 games have been played. A good and memorable game 7 is usually close and does down to the final seconds.

A memorable game 7 is the 2016 NBA Finals when the Caviliers forced a game 7 after going down 3-1 in the series against the best team of all time in the 2016 Warriors. The Cav’s ended up winning 93-89 beating the greatest team of all time and being the first team to ever comeback down 3-1 and to win the series.

This past weekend, it was an historic day for the NBA as on Sunday, there was 2 game 7’s played. The first game that was play was the Indiana Pacers playing the Knicks in New York. This game was unfortunately not close at all with the Knicks loosing OG Annunoby, Bojan Bogdannovic, Julius Randle, and Mitchell Robinson. Jalen Brunson also fractured his hand in the 3rd thus sealing the fate of the season. It did help the Pacers that 6 players scored double digit points and being led by Tyrese Haliburton with 26 points in a 130-109 win for the pacers.

The 2nd game of the day was a instant classic with the Timberwolves going against the defending champions in the Denver Nuggests. The Timberwolves were playing up and down the entire series but they found themselves in a game 7 against the MVP and champion Nikola Jokic. The Nuggest got out to a fast start led by point guard Jamal Murray with 20 points and they were leading at half by 20. The Timberwolves somehow clawed their way back with great defense and great performences from Jaden McDaniels(23 points) and Karl Anthony Towns(23 points & 12 reb). The dagger was put-back slam for KAT to extended the lead in the 4th to 7 points.

Game 7’s are the most entertaining and important games in a series as the players are giving it their everything just for a shot to play 4 more game or for a championship. The history of game 7’s is important and hold value in basketball history.