The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

Mr. O’Malley on His Transition from History Teacher to Guidance Counselor

Mr. Dan O’Malley has been a history and sociology teacher for many years at Hammonton High School. However, student will no longer find him in the classroom. He is now a new member of the counseling department.

How long has this been in the works?

It’s been in the plan since I got my degree in counseling, in addition to my one in History.

How do you think being a history teacher will translate into counseling?

I think it to be logical transition. Social Studies teachers do tend to be social, and not to stereotype departments, but I find that ours has a good rapport with the students they have. We have a personal touch with our kids, and I thrive on interactions with people. I was a coach as well, which I’d also like to think coincides with counseling.

What are you expecting from the new position?

I expect to give students the tools that I’ve accumulated in my lifetime, so they can utilize them for their own hardships. I want to guide them into becoming better people, and be able to handle what they are dealt with.

Are you planning to retire in this position, or will you be returning to the classroom?

I don’t rule out returning to the classroom, I love the classroom. I love action, but this is a different type of action. I don’t know if I plan on ever retiring, it’s a big thing for me. I always want to stay active. Will I formally retire as a guidance counselor, most likely, but I will always be doing something.