The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

Morning Show Returns to the Air

Morning Show Returns to the Air

The morning show, a student run broadcast to deliver the morning announcements, didn’t work at the beginning of the year. Students were forced to use the intercom during the repair.

“The software used to run the show is very specific.” said Mr. Joseph, the teacher in charge, and according to him, a piece of hardware in the computer was not working, so the whole unit had to be sent out for repair.

The members of the crew are excited to run the show again now that the computer has returned, including seniors Isabella Royer and Ilianna DeJesus.

“The show helps improve my leadership skills for my future career,” said Isabella Royer, the director of the show.

“the show improves my communication skills,” said Ilianna DeJesus, the floor manager.

The show is run by two separate rooms, the control room and the green room, which communicate through a headset.

Royer and DeJesus are the ones in charge of this communication, doing mic check, a countdown for when the anchors need to talk, and giving the O.K. for anchors to move when the show is over.

In the green room, the floor manager, a teleprompter, and the anchors work:

• The teleprompter writes the script which is seen in both rooms, letting the anchors know what to say
  • The floor manager, DeJesus, is the only role in the green room which doesn’t switch between people, and she signals for when the show starts, when the anchors need to start and stop talking, and when to do microphone check.
  • The anchors are the people the rest of the school sees. They sit in chairs in front of a greenscreen and read off the teleprompter to give students the daily news.

The control room is home to most of the behind the scenes work, and it includes the Tricaster, Graphics, Sound, DJ, and the Director.

• The Tricaster is used to flip between camera shots, adjust how the anchors look on screen, and end the show with the animations.
  • Graphics controls the computer screen seen behind the anchors. They see the teleprompter after it is edited in the green room and match the back screen to what the anchors are saying.
  • The sound coordinator controls audio levels of the anchors and the DJ, and turns microphones on and off.
  • The DJ plays music
  • The director oversees the show, making sure everything is running smoothly and giving directions between rooms

The show has changed a lot from when it first started. The first director when the high school was built is the current vice principal of the WES building, Mr. Josey, and the entirety of room 124 was a TV studio for broadcast

The technology for the show has come a long way, but there are still changes to be made.

Royer believes people coming in on time has been a running problem and peoples roles could use more flexibility.

DeJesus has said people who come to learn need a better spot to stand to be out of the way, and technology wise the TV in the greenroom needs to be fixed, as she can’t see the broadcast well enough and has to look out the door.

Mr. Joseph as also expressed some frustrations with the Tricaster, as it has a habit of not working when he arrives at the school.

See more behind-the-scenes content from the morning show on their Instagram at @hhsmorning.