Isabella Rivera for Junior Class Treasurer

The Devils’ Advocate  student newspaper reached out to all running for class office prior to the election. The staff created a few questions that we believe would help the student body get a better sense of each candidate and their values before voting next week.

Below is the Q&A featuring Isabella Rivera, candidate for Junior Class Treasurer.

In your opinion, what is/are the most pressing issue(s) for today’s high school students?

The most pressing issue for today’s high school students would be the stress. Sometimes tests and quizzes get piled up on the same days, and it is very difficult to study for all it. It is emphasized to get good grades because that what they look for to get into NHS and colleges. Also, high school students don’t get enough sleep. We come home from school or sports and don’t go to bed till later because we’re studying or doing homework. Then, we wake right back up early in the morning and do the same thing over again.

What is important about next year (i.e. sophomore year, junior year, senior year), and what role do you believe class officers have in making it a successful one?

They say junior year is the hardest year of high school. We start looking at colleges and planning for our future. As class officers, we have a role to make the school year memorable. It’s finally our year for prom. We pick a theme that everyone will remember for a lifetime. We plan for yet another year of homecoming, hallway decorating and hyping up the stands during Friday night lights. We are more than halfway done our high school career now.

What are some of the strengths of the HHS student community?

There are several strengths of the HHS student community. There is always something going on throughout the school year. HHS has many clubs to offer for the different interests of many students. So many new friendships and relationships develop over the 4 years. I’ve made so many lifelong friends, that make high school 10x better. We’ve made so many memories so far, and will continue to make more.

What are some areas of the HHS experience that could be better?

Some of the HHS could experience that could be better is learning material that we’re going to use in the real world. Some of the topics that we learn in our classes today are not going to be useful once we leave high school. We are taught it because it is part of the criteria. We should learn how to do taxes, credit cards, loans, debts, buying a house and cars.

Write one question that WE SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU BUT DIDN’T and answer it.

What is your main goal to accomplish as Treasurer? My main goal as treasurer is to help create a positive and enjoyable atmosphere within the junior class. This includes fun events, community service, and activities to bring us all together. I will budget the money and make sure it is going towards the right things. Let’s make junior year a memorable one!

The Devils' Advocate • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in