The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

How the Winter Track Team is Recovering from Losing Key Seniors

The HHS Winter Track team lost serious talent from the previous season like Senior sprinters Dom Derose and Dom Albert. They also lost great mid-distance runners Brandon Martinez and Jesus and Fernando Flores.

Even with these losses, the runners on the team are as optimistic as ever and still trying to push the pace at every opportunity.

Junior runner, Andrew Hoover, said he’s focused on trying to push himself like how he does during every season, building off of his previous success and not worrying about any outside factors.

The team’s first meet is on December 23, 2023 giving both the sprinter, hurdlers, and distance sectors of the team to train, get in shape, and mentally prepare for the rigorous season the Winter Track can be.

Junior distance runner Jacob Scarpato said, “We have to try and replicate our 4x800m relay as we still have a lot of good 800m and 1600m runners left from last year.”

The guys on the team are becoming more of a team rather than only worrying about their own success leading to a more competitive atmosphere.

Mid-Distance runner and Pole-vaulter, Lucas Iuliucci, commented on how the guys are treating this season saying, “I feel like everybody is really just trying to just perform at a higher level than what they did during spring.”

Even though the team is down on a few key runners at the moment, the team is not down on anything. If not, they are trying to surpass the runners that left last season.