The student news site of Hammonton High School.

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

The Devils' Advocate

Reflections on coaching with boys basketball coach Joe Martino

Coach Joe Martino led the Blue Devil boys basketball team for 23 years. He recently announced his retirement and reflected on his time as a coach.

Q: What motivated you to become a basketball coach in the first place?

A: Had no idea of coaching in the first place. I had one friend asked me to help assist coach Hammonton Middle School team in 1989-1990, and once I got started, I began to become excited about the practices and getting students to play along with improve.

Q: What are some of the biggest changes you’ve seen in the game of basketball over the past 23 years?

A: The game has become more fast past along with the creation of more defensive players. The 3 point line is used more often now too then before.

Q: Can you share a memorable coaching moment or game that had a significant impact on you?

A: A moment I will never forget is the 2008 sectionals against Timber Creek at Eastern High School. This is because even though it was an away game and the Blue Devils lost it was just amazing how much support there was. Around 2,500 people at the game and most came from Hammonton and when you looked it was like seeing a sea of blue pride.

Q: Can you give an example of a challenging situation you have had to overcome?

A: The entire first year of coaching was very challenging knowing the program and the level was really low and accepting the job ahead was going to be challenging especially this first year.

Q: What are you going to miss most about coaching boys basketball at HHS?

A: Going to miss connections to the players coaches and school that I had developed over the 23 years of coaching. I grew up as a Blue Devil and will always bleed blue.