Mia Mars for Junior Class Treasurer

The Devils’ Advocate  student newspaper reached out to all running for class office prior to the election. The staff created a few questions that we believe would help the student body get a better sense of each candidate and their values before voting next week.

Below is the Q&A featuring Mia Mars, candidate for Junior Class Treasurer.

In your opinion, what is/are the most pressing issue(s) for today’s high school students?

Social media has a huge influence on high school students today. The obsession can distract students from getting important things done, pushing them off of the path to success. Some students may feel like they need to constantly be on social media to “fit in”, when real relationships are more important in life. Social media can lead to unnecessary drama, which adds more stress onto a student’s life.  

What is important about next year (i.e. sophomore year, junior year, senior year), and what role do you believe class officers have in making it a successful one?

Junior year can be extremely stressful to the majority of students. Things like portfolio development, applying to colleges, and taking SATs while maintaining good grades can all be extremely difficult to juggle at once. As a class officer, it is important to plan fun activities to balance the students level of stress.

What are some of the strengths of the HHS student community?

Despite Hammonton and Waterford Townships joining together, HHS is still a fairly small close knit community where almost all the students and their families know each other.  The students have come together to make a school that is highly rated, competes well in sports and is academically superior. Just look at the amount of students that want to come here on the school choice program.  

What are some areas of the HHS experience that could be better?

The variety of after school activities that HHS offers could be more diverse. We should introduce more intramural sports, for the kids who would like to get active, but not necessarily compete at a higher level.  It would also be nice to have some creative after school activities like an art class or digital cinema club.

Write one question that WE SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU BUT DIDN’T and answer it.

One question I should have been asked but didn’t, is why should I be the junior class treasurer. I feel like I am the right candidate for many reasons. First, I love participating in school functions. Making a better experience for my classmates is what I strive to do. I have participated in preparing for school functions like pep rallies and dances even when I was not an officer.  Also, I am outspoken about the school’s needs and I have the drive to get things done when others would quit.

The Devils' Advocate • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in