Carli Caldwell for Sophomore Class Treasurer

The Devils’ Advocate  student newspaper reached out to all running for class office prior to the election. The staff created a few questions that we believe would help the student body get a better sense of each candidate and their values before voting next week.

Below is the Q&A featuring Carli Caldwell, candidate for Sophomore Class Treasurer.

In your opinion, what is/are the most pressing issue(s) for today’s high school students?

The most pressing issue on high school students now is stress. Teens are constantly pressured into getting a good grade and not necessarily learning. But since everyone’s future rides on their grades, it’s not really an option to slack off. I think the best way to help students with stress is have a mental break day: no homework, no tests, no nagging teachers, and certainly no stress. People will argue with me and say that is what the weekends are for, but, let’s be real, students are still stressing about school even on their off day. If teens are less stressed, they may try a little harder and actually start to partake in class, maybe for fun and not for a grade.

What is important about next year (i.e. sophomore year, junior year, senior year), and what role do you believe class officers have in making it a successful one?

Freshmen year was most likely tough on some students, and you’re not alone because it was tough for me too. Freshman year is the true test of loyalty, friendships, and intellect. Since this year is coming to an end, the hard work is over and it’s going to be smooth sailing from here. I’m not saying that your classes aren’t going to hard, but what I am saying is that sophomore year is going to bring all sorts of joy: driver’s ed, Homecoming, Hop, and many more. Sophomore year is the turning point of high school. Next year, we’ll already know the ropes of the school and be able to slide right into place with our fellow peers.  

I believe that the class officers will make sophomore year a time to have fun. People always say that high school are the best years of your life, and since many students had a rough first year, why not make next year the best? The class officers are going to make next year a successful one by rallying our grade into getting in the high school spirit. The more spirit everyone has, the more teens will enjoy school. The officers need to be leaders for our grade because we need to show everyone that the class of 2022 can have fun and make the best of high school

What are some of the strengths of the HHS student community?

Some strengths of the HHS student community is definitely the competitiveness. Students will do anything to win and be on top. Some may see this as a bad characteristic, however, when it really matters, it can be very beneficial. These ambitious students can help the school and their class. When it comes to helping the school, the students would want to win for their grade during a fundraiser. This would also tie in with their class; they’ll be helping their class win. Pep rally challenges are entertaining due to the drive to win.

What are some areas of the HHS experience that could be better?

Hammonton High School allows teens to experience multiple things for the first time in their lives, but there are some areas that could be improved. A unified school would be such a better environment to work/learn in. The school now seems like its all man for himself, which shouldn’t be the case. Everyone should work together to achieve a common goal. The pep rallies also need more spirit. During the pep rallies, barely anyone cheers on their class. Speaking on behalf of the class of 2022, everyone needs to be hyped up and enjoy the fun that school brings. All in all, the freshman class need class officers who are willing to make school a better experience in general.

Write one question that WE SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU BUT DIDN’T and answer it.

What was the reason for wanting to run for a class officer? Answer: I’ve always wanted to be some sort of class officer ever since sixth grade, but there was no opportunity to run until the start of freshman year, which I was fortunate enough to have been an officer. Now that the year is over and a new year is beginning, I, again, have the chance to run. Leadership qualities are needed to fit this spot perfectly, and I think that I am a good candidate for it. I step up and take the initiative due to my (somewhat) outgoing personality. I am level headed, calm, and ingenuitive which are demanded of someone who runs. I want school to be fun for my fellow peers. I want high school to be the best years of our lives like all the adults tell us. I want to be the one behind stage making this all happen.

The Devils' Advocate • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in