Ava Rodio for Sophomore Class Treasurer

The Devils’ Advocate  student newspaper reached out to all running for class office prior to the election. The staff created a few questions that we believe would help the student body get a better sense of each candidate and their values before voting next week.

Below is the Q&A featuring Carli Caldwell, candidate for Sophomore Class Treasurer.

In your opinion, what is/are the most pressing issue(s) for today’s high school students?

In my opinion motivation is one of the most pressing issues for today’s high school students.  It is important for there to be fun and motivational activities for the students to be a part of.  Rewards give students something to look forward to, and allow them to see that all the work they are putting in is benefiting them in some way.  Breaking up the school year with exciting events can make it easier for students to work hard to finish the year, and have a more memorable school experience.

What is important about next year (i.e. sophomore year, junior year, senior year), and what role do you believe class officers have in making it a successful one?

I believe that sophomore year is an important year because students are finally adjusted to the school, and understand how things work in HHS.  The class officers can be the voice for their grade and make sure the needs of that group of students are known. By having a peer in class office, students can talk to them about concerns or ideas they have for HHS.  Expressing their thoughts to a teacher may be more intimidating than talking to a friend.

What are some of the strengths of the HHS student community?

A strength of the HHS student community is the enthusiasm they put forth. The pep rallies and dances are always very lively, and there are many club options in HHS, so there is always something for most students to contribute to.  Another strength of the student community is ambition. Our students work hard all year in whatever it is that they are involved in, whether it be sports, academics, or other activities they enjoy.

What are some areas of the HHS experience that could be better?

An area of the HHS experience that could be better is the sense of community.  When the school gathers for events and activities there should be more of an effort placed on getting everyone to participate.  Another way the HHS experience could be better is the use of student mediators. This is a way of problem solving that will help students resolve issues between one another without resorting to violence.  This will be good practice for not only the students in the dispute, but the mediator because of the sense of responsibility. Also, using a student will give a new perspective to the situation which could lead to a more effective solution.

Write one question that WE SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU BUT DIDN’T and answer it.

How will being involved in student government help students in their future pursuits? Student government is a great way to give students a greater amount of responsibility than they would normally have. In the future, class officers will have a better understanding of how a governing body works, and how they serve the needs of the community at large. Also, being a class officer helps to improve communication skills and resolution of issues.  When attending meetings these characteristics will be practiced and improved for future use.

The Devils' Advocate • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in