The Devils' Advocate

From Underdogs to Top Dogs

Jeffrey Clouser, Editor-At-Large

On the fourth day of February of the two thousand and eighteen year, history was made. In the cold, brutal wastelands of Minnesota a pack of hungry, vicious UNDERDOGS dominated the “GOAT”. That’s right….The Philadelphia Eagles have won THE SUPER BOWL!!

It was a game of epic proportions that will be etched into history forever. The Philadelphia Eagles, The Underdogs, pitted in a battle against The New England Patriots, The Evil Empire.

The game was a nail-biter to the very end. Eagles quarterback, Nick Foles, went toe-to-toe with arguably one of the best quarterbacks in the league, Tom Brady of The New England Patriots. The two quarterbacks competed in a very close game, putting together similar drives throughout the game. Both quarterbacks threw 28 completed passes, and 3 touchdowns. However, in the end,Eagles edged out the win in the end with a 41-33 victory.

The Eagles victory came on the back of a handful of clutch plays and clutch players. Nick Foles, the most disrespected quarterback in the league, rose to the occasion. Foles made 43 pass attempts completing 28 of them, he totaled 373 yards in the air, 3 touchdowns, AND HE CAUGHT A TOUCHDOWN PASS from tight end Trey Burton. After the game Nick Foles was awarded the MVP award, and rightly so. In addition, a key strip sack by Brandon Graham resulted in a fumble recovered by Derek Barnett to stop a key Patriots drive that could have possibly won them the game. The Eagles Defense also made a key play to prevent the completion of a Hail Mary that could have tied up the game.

Tom Brady dropped back, scrambled, and then stepped up and unleashed a monster throw. The pass was greeted with a pile of green and white in the endzone, when finally a brown speck flew out and hit the ground.This is where the tears began streaming in Philly. In that moment, when the ball hit the ground and the game clock read 0:00, reality hit Eagles fans everywhere…The Philadelphia Eagles are Super Bowl Champions.

In that moment history was made, the fans rejoiced, and a city erupted. Fans everywhere screamed, shouted, jumped up and down, fell to their knees, hugged loved ones, and cried in the embrace of one another. The long drought was finally over.

The celebration that ensued was the largest ever seen in the City of Philadelphia. The streets filled with oceans of Eagles fans. Broad Street erupted, fans went crazy, Eagles chants broke out left and right, and even fireworks graced the sky.

The official parade was even better. Hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of Eagles fans gathered in Philly to welcome the Champions. The Eagles paraded through the city,with The Lombardi Trophy hoisted by the players and Coach Doug Pederson, through a sea of green that was hundreds of feet deep at some points and about five miles long. When the Champions reached the Art Museum, Merrill Reese, Coach Pederson, Howie Roseman, and many of the players gave speeches. Arguably, Jason Kelce gave the most moving, and memorable speech about the Eagles season, their status as underdogs, and how the fans still believed when no one else did.

If you ever have a bad day, or are ever feeling down, remember this…The Philadelphia Eagles are World Champions.

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

Sixers face Bulls in home opener tonight

• College/Professional Sports

Devils’ Den Sports Talk Episode 2

• College/Professional Sports

Devils Den Sports Talk: Episode 1

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

Sixers face Celtics in season opener tonight

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

Fans pick their early NFL MVPs

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

Preseason games should mean easy wins for Sixers

• College/Professional Sports

Can You Name These 76ers Players During “The Process?”

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

MLB Regular Season Predictions

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

Students make predictions for March Madness

• From Underdogs to Top Dogs

College/Professional Sports

NBA All-Star Game Storylines

The student news site of Hammonton High School.
From Underdogs to Top Dogs