The Devils' Advocate

FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

Ajit Pai (FCC Chairman)

Ajit Pai (FCC Chairman)

Ajit Pai (FCC Chairman)

Neil Massaro and Nick Earnshaw

“The internet is such an important aspect of our lives…what is decided about it completely affects us” said history teacher Mr. Anthony Angelozzi.

And the recent actions of the FCC regarding the internet and net neutrality is certainly making history. Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers must treat all data on the Internet the same.

In 2014, President Barack Obama implemented net neutrality regulations to protect these principals.

“Ever since the internet was created, it has been organized around basic principles of openness, fairness, and freedom. There are no gatekeepers deciding what sites you can access. There are no toll roads on the information superhighway. This set of principles, the idea of net neutrality, has unleashed the power of the internet and has given innovators the change to survive. Abandoning these principals would threaten to end the internet as we know it.”

A majority of people agree with Obama. Abandoning these principles causes much controversy.

”It defeats the purpose of a free society,” said 3D Animation teacher Mr. Brad Groatman. “Isn’t that what other countries are struggling with?”

President Trump’s FCC completely disagrees with Obama’s regulations. Specifically, appointed director Ajit Pai.

“Entrepreneurs and innovators guided the internet far better that clumsy hand of government ever could have” Pai explained to CNN.

In other words, since entrepreneurs and innovators are the foundation of the internet, they should have full control over users and customers access. Now how does that affect us?

Many fear it will cost them money.

“Internet providers charging companies more money to make their content better? That just increases my Netflix bill,” said Mr. Gary Joseph, who teaches Cinema at the high school.

But the removal of net neutrality may not be as bad as we think.

“It’s kind of like putting three gas stations on the same corner. It is Capitalist, better quality…higher price. Says English teacher Mr. Adam Priem, “But most companies, like Netflix, wont raise their prices, because then they will go out of business.”

People exaggerate it, but Obama was protecting a law for 1996.

“It is outdated. The FCC can set these rules; however, they are not congressional,” Angelozzi added. “When Congress writes laws, that is when the panic should start. That is when people should start to fight it.”

Right now the FCC has complete control and they don’t want control. So the future of the internet lies in the hands of Congress.

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

Program offers college credit for high school classes

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

December 2017 Students of the Month

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

The Devils’ Advocate Live Show / Period 8: 12/22/17

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

The Devils’ Advocate Live Show / Period 5: 12/22/17

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

Key Club helps Kiwanis shop for local children

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

Literature comes to life in ‘A Christmas Carol’

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

District seeks to reduce carbon footprint, applies for state audit

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

Teacher of the Year

• News

For Blue Devil football, State game is the end of a long road

• FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality

News

State funding poses challenge to offering Hammonton late bus, according to district

The student news site of Hammonton High School.
FCC Neutralizes Net Neutrality