The Devils' Advocate

Into the Internet

Christina Carnesale, Reporter

Today’s day revolves around the internet, whether it be googling a question we don’t know, or playing games on our phones while we’re bored. The world is in the fingertips of every human being in the form of a cell phone. In fact, 81% of adults possess smartphones, and of those adults they all averages about one hour and thirty nine minutes on it surfing the internet for all sorts of reasons.

Take a minute and think about how many hours in a day that are spent on your phone, computer, or even tv screen. An average person watches television for about four and a half hours; they’re on their cell phones for about two hours and forty minutes, and seven and a half hours looking at a television screen.

Adding that all up, the average person spends their 24 hour day staring at a screen for 15 of them.

But what is it that causes us to dedicate all of our time to those screens? Is it that significant other that you have to talk to 24/7, is it the homework that has to be handed in before 12 am, is it the Netflix television show that you’re binge watching, or is it purely out of boredom?

For example, senior Brett Beebe was sitting in class, and the website he was on caught everyone attention around him. He was on the website called, “The Useless Web” and the title is self explanatory. It is a website dedicated to absolutely nothing, the front page reads in all caps, “TAKE ME TO A USELESS WEBSITE PLEASE”. It then will take you to random sites that are dedicated to nothing. If someone isn’t bored enough to look at pointless websites what else are they doing on the computer?

Meanwhile, senior Blaise Fisher, was obsessing over the newest updates on Netflix. Cable TV is on its way out, while online viewing dominates.  For example, Stranger Things is the newest television series that the people won’t stop talking about. It is a Netflix original series and it’s still the talk of the town. Since everyone spends majority of their time on the internet they surf the web and find website like Netflix and Hulu. Internet television is so much better in the people’s eyes because they get to watch episodes after episodes with no commercials, and no wait.

So whether people are surfing the internet to watch tv without commercials, to do homework, or solely out of boredom, people spend an average 15 hours out of 24 in a day. 

• Into the Internet

Features

Hammonton Hallways: Are you smarter than fifth grader?

• Into the Internet

Features

12 Days a Vegetarian

• Into the Internet

Features

Hop 2018 Photo Gallery

• Features

Try not to Laugh Challenge

• Features

Best Pick Up Lines

• Into the Internet

Features

Getting ready for the Hop

• Into the Internet

Features

Winter athletes run into spring with great potential

• Features

Hammonton Hallways: Hidden Talents

• Features

Debate: Pancakes vs. Waffles

• Into the Internet

Features

Tide Pods Challenge Intelligence, Safety

The student news site of Hammonton High School.
Into the Internet