One of Us: Ms. Myra Doughty

Tevya Paretti, Reporter

Ms. Myra Lynn Doughty is a superhero fanatic and a phenomenal physics teacher. She has an array of beautiful colored glasses that always match her outfits. When Mrs. Doughty is not fighting crime alongside Wonder Woman (her favorite superhero), she spends her free time with us at Hammonton High School, teaching the wonderful mysteries of physics.

My secret talent is.. playing the piano.

The funniest thing a student ever said to me was… During a lab in class a student said,“Do I have to write this down?” I laughed and said “Yes.. If you would like to know how to do the lab.”

I went to college… I’ve went to many colleges most of them on scholarship. Some include UCLA, USC, BYU, Stockton University, Grand Canyon University, and UPENN.

My favorite funny story about myself is… when I was playing lawn darts with my brother and he “accidentally” threw a lawn dart into my shoulder blade. We tried to yank it out of my shoulder in an effort not to tell my mom, but it would not come out so I had to go the hospital and be given a tetanus shot.

Some unique pets I’ve had in my lifetime are.. a squirrel, Canadian goose, tarantula, and a snapper turtle.

The hardest thing about being a teacher is… When students give up on doing work because they don’t understand a concept. If you do not understand something.. ask!

My favorite genre of music is.. rock from the 60’s and early 70’s.

My favorite bands are… Collective Soul and X-Japan. I’ve been to many concerts especially in the year 1969 when I saw Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath.

My favorite part of being a teacher is… witnessing the “lightbulb” or “AHA” moment from my students. You can see that they truly understand the material and it’s very rewarding. Also, when students that graduate send me thank you letters saying that their college physics classes are a breeze.

The best piece of advice I’ve ever gotten was… From my mother she said “ Figure out who you are” and “Do what makes you happy.”

My favorite place to live was… Marina Del Rey, California. My house was right on the beach, so the sand and the waves were my front yard. I could sleep and listen to the waves crash and surf and swim whenever I wanted.